Flames of Hogwarts, Ice of Durmstrang
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Third Lesson

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Third Lesson Empty Third Lesson

Post by Jadzia Krulle Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:09 am

(OOC- Had to do some editing after getting the note about being in the 3rd lesson.)

Jadzia sat at her desk and looked about the empty classroom, lost in her thoughts. It wasn't the first day for her students, just for her. As far as she'd known, the headmaster had been covering the class until she could arrive. Jadzia was a late hire, but she was excited for the position. The first day of the new term was critical in Jadzia's eyes. It set the pace and expectations for the entire year. Did she really always want to known as a strict professor? Not particularly. However, war had been declared and there could be no lackadaisical teaching for Defense. These students would not escape the upcoming battles and needed to be prepared.

With these determined thoughts, Jadzia read through her first day's curriculum, her introduction to defense. Her father's teachings had been drilled into her head and were second nature by now. Skills already proven useful in the war; strategies that had already saved many lives. Determined to hope that her students had put in the needed time and effort to their assignment, she was ready to continue the lessons from where they'd left off.

As she was gathering her teaching notes a quick "Tempus" showed that there were 10 minutes until the start of class. With a wave of her wand, the classroom door swung open to admit the soon to be arriving students.

Last edited by Jadzia Krulle on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jadzia Krulle
Jadzia Krulle
Durmstrang Instructor

Back to top Go down

Third Lesson Empty Re: Third Lesson

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Alys was among the first few to enter the class and had been immensely glad to see she wasn't the only one who had thought to come early. Quickly scanning the few faces, the witch searched for a sign of any of her friends she could sit with.

The blonde made her way to the back, setting her books down on an empty desk and taking her seat as inconspicuously as she could. Unsure whether they would be using their books or wands for the lesson, the girl readied both.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Ah! A new teacher, another youngling, Lukas thought in disappointment. Perhaps he shouldn't be quick to judge and wait for the class to start to see if she was just another young lehrer or did she have some mettle as well.

Being one of the firsts in the class he settled in the front. Blasting and shielding curses was fun, he wouldn't to be the last one to do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:59 am

Tarragon jumped up the last two steps to Defence Class, and with a brief look around took up the chair next to Alys.

"Hi," He smiled in her direction before looking up at the teacher expectantly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadzia Krulle Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:13 am

Jadzia watched as the students filed in and settled into their seats. Casting another quick tempus charm, she waved her wand and the door closed. Class was officially in session.

Standing at the front of the classroom, Jadzia studied each students before speaking. "Good morning, class. My name is Professor Krulle and I will be your new Defense professor for the remainder of the term."

The students before her looked attentive, which gave Jadzia hope that each one would put forth their best and take the lessons serious.

"I understand that the headmaster has been your instructor and have followed his lessons carefully. Seeing that everything is in order, we will continue from where he left off. Any questions?"
Jadzia Krulle
Jadzia Krulle
Durmstrang Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:54 am

Lukas wanted to know more about the new teachers so he gently asked, "Lehrer, if you do not mind could you give a proper introduction, I mean some more information about. It's just that we don't know much except your name..."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 am

"Hi," the blonde whispered back to the boy beside her before the lehrer shut the door, signaling the start of class. She followed his example and snapped her attention back tot he front and the teacher.

"I understand that the headmaster has been your instructor and have followed his lessons carefully. Seeing that everything is in order, we will continue from where he left off. Any questions?"

Alys herself didn't have any questions but the boy in front did. She waited patiently for his inquiries to be answered before they could get on with the lesson.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadzia Krulle Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:59 pm

"Very well, Mister Cesar." Jadzia replied, looking at her student list for his name. She recognized him from Geschick, the house she had been selected to be the head of.

"My defense training comes from my father, Piotr Krulle who was head defense strategist for eastern europe, later contracted by Germany when the war started, until his death two year ago. I was his assistant up until then and carried his defense campaigns against Britain. I took over for him after he died until commissioned for the position here at Durmstrang." Jadzia fought of the memories of those battles, especially the one that cost her the one thing she loved most, her father.

"War is not kind, students. It is not pretty and it shows no mercy. However, this class will teach you the skills needed to best survive. I will teach you what my father taught me. It's more then just waving your wand and hoping for the best. You need to always be a step ahead which calls for strategy." Jadzia knew that each of these students would encounter this war in one way or another. She was determined that they would be prepared.

"Now who can tell me the difference between a hex, jinx, and a curse?"

Jadzia Krulle
Jadzia Krulle
Durmstrang Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Alys listened to the teacher's brief introduction, not really sure how to process it. Her Papa had never talked of war in such terms, only said that it was bad and that by taking sides, one only ever encouraged it. Her Mama had been more concerned with making sure Alys herself never saw fit to differentiate negatively between herself and others for reasons such as social economic status, birth or blood purity. But here was someone who actually helped with war. The blonde had no idea what to make of that.

She did however, know the answer to the new Lehrer's question. Alys had read it only bu chance a few days ago when looking up spell destinations and could till remember the words from the textbook.

"All three variations are used to harm the person they are being aimed at. But a jinx is a rather mild bit of harmful magic which does things like make your toenails grow. A hex is more harmful in terms of strengths. A curse however, can do some serious damage and has the potential to be lethal. Some curses are incurable." The witch finished her impromptu monologue and then, realizing how much she'd said, blushed.

"Sorry," she muttered, looking down at her desk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadzia Krulle Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:02 pm

"Excellent, Ms. Diederich. 5 points to Muhe." Jadzia responded to the answer, impressed at the thoroughness. Someone had done their reading!

"All three are associated with dark magic on some level, but Jinxes and Hexes being considered more minor then curses. These spells can help you defend yourself against an attack in order to incapacitate your opponent. Today let's look at the Impediment Jinx. When this jinx is cast with enough power, it ca knock your opponent off their feet, giving you the opportunity to disarm them."

Jadzia looked about to make sure the students were taking notes. "Let me demonstrate for you. I need a volunteer..."
Jadzia Krulle
Jadzia Krulle
Durmstrang Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 am

Tarragon put his hand up to volunteer for the activity. He could guess what was coming, but felt he should try it out, being part of the Muhe house, this should be a good test of pain. He stood from his desk and made his way to the front, drawing his wand as he walked for effect.

He knew he wouldn't be able to touch their Lehrer with a spell no matter how hard he tried, but could at least try anyway. He waited for her instructions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadzia Krulle Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:32 am

Jadzia sized up the young blond walking towards the front of the class. Brave boy! Deciding to allow a student to through a jinx at her might not have been one of her best decisions, but it was far more likely that one of them would get hurt if she had decided to demonstrate on them.

"Very good, Mr. Zeverai. The incantation is Impedmenta and the wand movement is as follows." Jadzia instructed and then proceeded to demonstrate the precise flick of her wand. "On the count of three, aim the jinx at me. I won't attempt a block this time. Know that a standard shield spell will usually suffice in blocking this type of jinx. However, if cast with more then typical force, it can still knock you back a few steps. If you block correctly, you still shouldn't loose balance."

Jadzia walked down the center isle of desks to the opposite side of the room. She noticed the silence of her classroom as everyone waited in anticipation. Jadzia supposed that many of the professors didn't make it a common practice of letting their students hex them. However, she was more then capable of blocking the jinx should her student cast it incorrectly or too strong.

"Wand at the ready, Mr. Zeverai. One...two...three..."
Jadzia Krulle
Jadzia Krulle
Durmstrang Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:09 am

Tarragon went through the instructions again in his head and put his wand out in front of him.
He looked around at the rest of the class as they watched him silently, he just hoped this worked as well as he thought it would.

He looked the teacher in the eyes, before casting the spell with much confidence.

"Impedimenta!"

He watched in anticipation as the blue light flashed across the room towards his Lehrer...

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadzia Krulle Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:59 am

Jadzia watched her student cast the jinx, happy with his success. She had to fight her instinct to block the charm.

The blast was a good strength and would have knocked any unsuspecting person to the ground. However, Jadzia was prepared and managed to only stumble back into a crouched position.

The strict professor couldn't fight the small grin on her face. This boy would learn quickly in her class, for sure!

Straightening back up into a standing position, Jadzia rearranged her mussed up robes. Teaching robes never did make good battle attire. "Very good, Mr. Zeverai. Just a bit more practice and you'll have enough force to knock any opponent to the ground. 5 points to Mühe."

Jadzia crossed back to the front of the classroom and faced her students. "Now that you've seen the jinx in action, pair up and practice on each other. I will walk about and help with any who need assistance." With a wave of her wand, the desks disappeared and she added a cushioning charm to the floor and walls. No sense in sending any students to the infirmary on her first day of class.

Jadzia Krulle
Jadzia Krulle
Durmstrang Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:14 pm

Tarragon smiled with his success as his teacher fell backwards with the force of his spell. He lowered his wand as the Lehrer started to talk to him.

"Very good, Mr. Zeverai. Just a bit more practice and you'll have enough force to knock any opponent to the ground. 5 points to Mühe."

He smiled a little wider as he earnt some points and headed back over to Alys as they were told to pair up.

"Fancy blasting me across the room with that spell?" He asked cheekily.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:55 pm

"Nothing would please me more," Alys grinned back wickedly, taking her position in front of him. The teacher had cleared the area of desks and chairs and cast what felt suspiciously like a cushioning charm which Alys knew from her own home.

Pointing her wand at her housemate, she said clearly "Impedimenta" only to have nothing happen. Confusion on her face, the witch shook her wand a little, making it exude angry red sparks.

Trying once again, Alys still didn't get a result. "What's wrong?" she asked Tarragon who was still waiting patiently opposite her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Tarragon watched Alys struggle with the spell the first time. He could see what she had done wrong but hoped she'd sort it out without him saying anything. She shook her wand making it shoot out red sparks which made him laugh a little. When she tried the second time she made the same mistake.

"What's wrong?"

He walked behind her, putting his hand over her wand hand. He pointed them both towards a vase that stood beside them.

"Remember the flicking action, Alys!" He said as he showed her with their right hands. "It's just a quick flick in the direction of the object!"

He showed her hand the movement once more with his hand over hers.

"Now speak the incantation and hit the vase," He insisted, letting go of her hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Flicking the wand like Tarragon had shown her, the witch said the incantation clearly and sure enough, a thin line of blue light erupted from the tip of her wand. As the beam of light hit the vase, it fell off the desk and for a moment, Alys steeled herself for the shattering noise it would make as it hit the floor. But when it simply suspended mid fall and landed safely on the stone floor, the witch remembered the cushioning charm and breathed a sigh of relief.

"I think I got that," she said, her voice bright as she turned and walked a few steps away from Tarragon. "And now to see if it works on you as well."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Tarragon smiled as Alys managed the spell on the vase, it reassured him slightly that maybe he wouldn't get turned into anything, or something equally worse. He took a few steps back as Alys readied herself to try it on him. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, waiting for Alys' spell to hit its mark.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:38 pm

The witch gave him a wicked look as she sized up her target. Deciding to aim for his chest, the raised her wand, a smirk on her lips. "Let's see how well you taught me," she said before casting the spell.

The blue light hit Tarragon square in the front, colliding into him with all the force she could counter it with and the witch waited to see his reaction. Had she done well?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:20 am

The class had odd number of students so Lukas and two other students decided to pair up and rotate their chances. The one who successfully defends stays and the other person walks off giving the chance to the third one.

First it was his housemate, a Geschick boy vs a Verstand girl. The Verstand girl not only defended but quite quickly counter attacked the boy sending him a few steps backwards. Now it was Lukas's turn.

They positioned themselves and on the count of three the duel began. Lukas, always the aggressor, attacked and unlike the last time the girl didn't defend but attacked as well. Probably she grew in confidence after the first battle.

The spells collided into nothingness. Lukas and the girl smiled, both knew this was going to be a fun battle. The Doctor had said the best way to not get hit is to not be present where the attack happens. Lukas, moved around, circling the girl.

"Impedimenta", they both said. They both dodged the spells. She had aimed at his chest again but because Lukas was ready, he managed to move quickly enough to avoid being hit. Whereas, he had aimed the jinx to the girl's leg this time around but she jumped at the last minute.

She was quick and strong enough to defend. She had successfully defended and counter attacked against his housemate so she was powerful enough to do spells back to back in a quick succession. She can go from defense to attack in a matter of seconds.

Lukas decided to try another approach. To go on an all out attack, after all attack is the best form of defense. He aimed again at the legs, ducked at the in coming attack not bothering to put up a shield, and fired one more jinx this time aimed at her head. She took the bait and jumped, her eyes widened as she realised when Lukas ducked and fired once more. The spell hit her right across her chest, knocking the air out of her. Although she safely landed on the ground thanks to the cushioning charm Lukas wasn't quite sure if her ribs were alright or not.

He helped her get up and told her she fought well. Then an idea struck him and said to both his housemate and the girl, "Maybe the two of you can pair up... against me?"

It should be fun he thought after all in real life it was very rare to fight one on one in a war.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

Tarragon took a few steps back to balance himself. He put his hand to his chest where she had hit him and smiled. Alys had picked the spell up well and had preformed it with great power.

"Very good, Alys. Very good." He congradulated her. "But I think you can do better than that! Try again! Do you want to just make me stumble, or make me hit the floor?"

He stood back and waited for her to try the spell again, this time with a little more aggression.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:03 am

Terrence headed off to his first class, he knew he was late, but then he arrived at the school late so there was not much he could do. So he walked up to the classroom, and knocked on the door and peeked in the classroom.

Terrence was never one to brust into a classroom especially if he was running late.

"Excuse me, but am I in the right room for defence?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Slightly put off by the fact that her spell had only caused the boy to stumble, Alys closed her eyes and concentrated again. Tarragon had been able to make even a teacher almost fall and he was the same age as her. All she needed was experience and concentration to be as good as he was.

The witch pictured the hex clearly in her mind, how the force of her will traveled with that thin blue beam of light into her opponent. Raising her wand once again, she said "Impedimenta!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadzia Krulle Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Jadzia looked up from across the classroom to see a student walk in. She quickly surmised that ne must be new to the class, since everyone on her list was already present.

"Indeed it is. You're quite late, Mr..." Jadzia barked, her eyes narrowing. Tardiness, especially this late into the class was almost inexcusable in her book.
Jadzia Krulle
Jadzia Krulle
Durmstrang Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next