Flames of Hogwarts, Ice of Durmstrang
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In search for wounded animals (OPEN)

2 posters

Go down

In search for wounded animals (OPEN) Empty In search for wounded animals (OPEN)

Post by Lucia Henley Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:03 am

Lucia walked down the path of Hogwarts grounds. She walked past the Black Lake with a smile on her face. The moon was standing high, casting a beautiful reflection onto the lake. She walked past it and headed straight for the Forbidden Forest. She was rather calm, even though she was on her weekly stroll in search of wounded animals that needed tending to.

An unexpected, strong wind blew around her and she packed herself into the warm cloak she was wearing. Lucia looked around herself as she passed by the first trees. She didn't feel scared; she was too used to dark places. She had practically been brought up in one. She sighed. She really didn't want to think about that. But the mind works in different ways. It wasn't about to listen to her. And even though Lucia was, not brilliant, but capable of occlumency, she was much better under pressure and when she wasn't alone.

A searing feeling hit her hard in the chest. Lucia had been alone for so long, and suddenly she wished so much that someone was walking next to her, joking about what animals they might find, and if they would run into a werewolf. Lucia rolled her eyes. It wasn't even full-moon. She sighed again. Suddenly the calm trip into the forest got rushed. She wanted to be done with the scouting quickly.

Then she heard a twig break behind her. Lucia rounded on the spot.

"Hello?" she asked and waited for a new sound.

A creepy feeling sneaked its way up her back. She suddenly realized just how dark it actually was. How far in was she? She couldn't have been walking for that long. Then she heard a whimper of some kind. Lucia immediately knew it was an animal and rushed towards the sound. When she got closer, she heard a neigh. Lucia cursed to herself. That sound was the sound a hurt unicorn would make. And not just a hurt one; a near death one.

Lucia started running, having completely forgotten about the broken twig she had heard behind her. She couldn't stand animals in pain, but unicorns? Those were the most sacred and innocent animals in existence. Lucia skidded to a halt just as she saw a dazzling white unicorn lie on the ground in front of her. The hair was shimmering brightly in the little light the moon gave.

The unicorn had heard her, and she saw how it tried to turn its head towards her. It was probably terrified. Lucia started humming lowly and soothingly on a tune. She then walked in a big circle around the unicorn and into it's point of sight. Lucia immediately saw that it was a stallion. She reached her hand out slowly and took a very slow step towards him.

"Don't worry," she said, "I'm going to look after you. Get you back on your feet."

Lucia took another slow step, and when the stallion didn't do anything, she walked all the way up to him, sitting down on her knees. She grabbed her wand.

"I'm going to save you," she said softly.

The wound was extensive. She immediately saw that if another, less skilled healer than herself had come out to the woods, the unicorn would have to be put down. And to have the blood of a unicorn on your hands wasn't on normal people's to-do-list.

"Vulnera Sanentur," Lucia whispered and a soft, calm light lit the tip of her wand.

She said this spell a few more times to be absolutely sure that the wounds on the stallion was healed. The unicorn neighed, but he still sounded extremely weak. Lucia reached for the pouch that was tied to her side. She fished out a bottle of something silver-like; unicorn blood. Lucia opened the bloodbag and waved her wand a bit before the blood slowly but surely followed the wand's movement to the unicorn's side and slipped into the very skin of the stallion without there being a wound.

Lucia stopped when the blood was empty and patted the stallion on its mule. She was about to ask the unicorn how he was feeling, when a new sound was heard behind her. Lucia turned sharply, scaring the unicorn

"Shh," Lucia soothed, stroking the mule again. She then fished out her wand. "Protego maxima," she whispered and a bubble surrounded the two of them. "Who's there?" she asked into the dark, because she knew it was not an animal.
Lucia Henley
Lucia Henley
Hogwarts Professor

http://theavengers.forummotions.com/

Back to top Go down

In search for wounded animals (OPEN) Empty Re: In search for wounded animals (OPEN)

Post by Briony Romain Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Briony had been, like she so often used to do, reading up in the Forbidden Forest high up in one of her favourite trees that was surprisingly comfortable to sit in for a long period of time, she had barely had any chances to read lately but now she had a chance to finish 'The Divine Comedy' which had been put off for months.

Just as she was on the last few pages Briony heard a noise, and quickly muttered:

'Nox.'

So that the light from her wand tip was extinguished, letting her eyes get used to the dark she waited, and listened, was it a student up out of hours? Deciding that it would be a good idea to go and check Briony jumped down from the tree, almost silently, yet a twig cracked as she set her foot down on it.

Lighting up her wand she in fact saw that it was not a student, but the school Healer and Keeper of Keys, which was infinately less hassle for Briony.

"Forgive me. I had thought you were a student. Thought it might have been best to check. What was wrong with it?"

She asked, pointing to the Unicorn with her wand, as in the dark she hadn't been able to see.
Briony Romain
Briony Romain
Hogwarts Headmistress

https://hogwartsvsdurmstrang.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

In search for wounded animals (OPEN) Empty Re: In search for wounded animals (OPEN)

Post by Lucia Henley Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Lucia exhaled when she saw Briony walking out of the shadows, even though the headmistress looked a bit scary as well where she stood half in shadow. Then the headmistress raised her wand and lit it, pointing it to the healed unicorn

"Forgive me. I had thought you were a student. Thought it might have been best to check. What was wrong with it?"

Lucia shook her head and turned to the stallion. "He is fine now. He was wounded by some kind of animal, I think. He had claw marks that I have not seen a spell give, so I don't think it was by a human," she said, just as the unicorn rose. It walked over to her, and Lucia stroked its mule one last time before it dashed off into the woods.

But even though the animal was okay now, Lucia was not. She turned to Briony with a serious expression.

"I've been in the forest once before, right after I got the job. I met one of the centaurs. He told me that if I should hurt any of the animals, there would be costs. But we made a deal. I am to walk into the forest once every week to check up on the animals. But the centaur, who did not introduce himself-" Lucia seemed a bit annoyed by this "-told me that he was only worried about the smaller animals. The centaurs could take care of themselves. And the unicorns... Briony, not a creature in these woods would ever hurt a unicorn. Whatever hurt this one, was not a welcomed guest," Lucia explained. She then added: "I think that the students should be very careful around the forest at the moment."
Lucia Henley
Lucia Henley
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Briony Romain Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Briony watched with cold eyes as the unicorn went on it's way, she was glad of course that it was healed however she had no real emotional connections to animals except to her snake, Medusa, who was curled up in her basket in her office.

"I see, so it would seem as if we have some sort of animal problem. Something that is quite evil in nature."

Nodding her head, both understanding Lucia's annoyance and her concern at the appearance of the creature which she was at the moment unsure of it's nature, or even where it might be within the forest.

This was something that she needed to find out, and soon. Despite her better judgement Briony turned to look into the depths of the forest, no time like the present.

"I will go and try to see what it is, after all, we do not want any foolish students harmed, even if they would be breaking the rules if they came in here. Do you have any idea what the creature could be? Or shall I wait and ask the CoMC professor?"
Briony Romain
Briony Romain
Hogwarts Headmistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucia Henley Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:52 pm

"I will go and try to see what it is, after all, we do not want any foolish students harmed, even if they would be breaking the rules if they came in here. Do you have any idea what the creature could be? Or shall I wait and ask the CoMC professor?"

Lucia frowned. "The best would be to get rid of the animal now. I do not know for sure what animal it might be, but there are only so few that would hurt a unicorn. The thing is, I can actually only think of three creatures, and I pray to Merlin that it is not one of those," she said calmly.

She looked into the dark, an eerie feeling in her back. "It is three different, dangerous creatures; the Chimaera, the Manticore and the Lethifold. I hope it is the latter. The Chimaera is a very rare beast as well as the Manticore. There has been only one record of a wizard defeating a Chimaera. Magic is not effective on them, no magic whatsoever. But I can't imagine that it is a Manticore or Chimaera. The Lethifold is easier to kill, but they are fairly quick. It usually feeds on humans, though... But still, there have been records of them killing a unicorn before. So it is more likely that it is them. They only attack at night as well. Manticores likes daylight better. And Chimaeras... Well, I think it is a Lethifold. Do you want me to come with you?" Lucia asked after the long speech of explaining.
Lucia Henley
Lucia Henley
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Briony Romain Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Briony listened patiently while Lucia explained to her what the creature might be, although she didn't think that it would be anything but the last creature, a leithfold, she listened to the explainations none the less.

Needless to say CoMC was not her best lesson when she attended school and she had forgotten all about the creatures so it would be good to find out what they were.

"I see, and what is the most effective method of killing a leithfold? Was it water charms or something like that? It's been a while since I've heard of one let alone needed to kill one of them."

Smiling slightly Briony nodded her head; "Yes I think it would be a good idea for two of us to go, the buddy system and all of that."

Briony turned and lowered her wand to the ground, looking around on the floor for any signs of disturbed earth, looking for the trails of the unicorn and where that might have come from before, finding them Briony nodded.

"This way." and began to follow the hooves.
Briony Romain
Briony Romain
Hogwarts Headmistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucia Henley Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 am

"I see, and what is the most effective method of killing a leithfold? Was it water charms or something like that? It's been a while since I've heard of one let alone needed to kill one of them."

Lucia frowned and thought a bit about it. She sighed. "Well, there is no way one can actually kill a lethifold. The only protection against it is to make a patronus. Hexes won't work. But there is the possibility that the killing curse will kill it. I don't know. I hope so. I mean, there aren't many animals around that can stand up to that one. But it is illegal," she said.

The truth was, Lucia couldn't give a shit about whether or not Avada Kedavra was illegal. She was so pissed at the creature that had hurt the unicorn that she wouldn't let the animal go as it pleased. Not to mention that it could end up hurting one of the students, especially considering how the lethifold loved human blood. Lucia narrowed her eyes, then remembered where she was.

"Yes I think it would be a good idea for two of us to go, the buddy system and all of that."

Lucia agreed to that. Two patronuses were better than one. Then Briony turned and studied the earth. She then started walking down a path Lucia couldn't see.

"This way."

Lucia followed Briony further into the forest. They walked so far that the sky above them vanished and all was dark. Lucia had her wand ready in case a chasing animal was to come after them.

That's when Lucia realized that she had to tell Briony something and that quickly. "Briony," she said, "The lethifold glides over the ground, just like a dementor. It is a black-looking creature, and its size gets bigger after he eats a victim. After drinking a unicorn's blood, this creature will probably be massive. It can also use a power of light or something to blind us. So be careful."
Lucia Henley
Lucia Henley
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Briony Romain Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 am

Briony nodded, feeling just a tad stupid for not knowing what the answer was but then again there were more important things to focus on right about now and them being the blood thirsty creature who probably wanted nothing more than to eat the two of them.

"I see, patronus charm, well, ive never really been one for following the rules, so I'll be using that curse if it's all the same to you?"

Knowing some people were uncomfortable with the curse Briony wanted to make sure that Lucia was okay with her using it in front of her, she didn't want this to come back to bite her in the future or something.

Stopping for a moment Briony thought that she could sense something, she concentrated for a brief moment and gathered a handful of shadows in case she needed to attack.

"Right, so it can manipulate light to attack, if we continue to follow the unicorns original path, maybe it will still be there, the only other way will definately draw it's attention so we shall both have to be ready if it comes to that."

Briony let the shadows curl up to around her eyes ready to temporarily blind her at a moments notice.
Briony Romain
Briony Romain
Hogwarts Headmistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucia Henley Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:31 am

Lucia nodded instantly. "I have no problems with you using that curse. It's not like the creature would mind killing us. And when your opponent has such thoughts and animalistic primitives, why on earth should one be any different to them?" she asked rhetorically.

When Briony stopped, Lucia noticed how she was preparing herself. Lucia gripped her wand tighter and lifted it a bit higher, ready to cast her patronus. She gathered some happy memories and felt her spirit lift just by thinking of how many people and animals she had saved from death. She was ready.

Lucia understood what Briony was saying about the 'being-ready' part. So she muttered a spell under her breath that would shield her from raging light.

Then both of them saw something moving. At first, Lucia was sure it was a shadow of something. Then she realized that, no, it wasn't a shadow. It was the beast itself. So she had been right; a huge black lethifold was standing in front of them. Lucia didn't waste any time.

"Expecto Patronum!" she yelled and a massive griffin shot from the tip of her wand and towards the creature.

The creature moved away, but the griffin followed easily. That's when Lucia was stupid enough to let her guard down. The lethifold was locked in her spell, yes, but no one ever said there weren't more than one. Something sharp hit Lucia in the back and she flew backwards, hitting a tree. She could see the outline of another lethifold standing a few yards away, but she couldn't move. The griffin disappeared as well.

"Briony!" Lucia managed to yell and lifted her wand, shooting another patronus to slow the other down while Briony was fighting the first one. But Lucia couldn't hold on for long, so she was extremely happy that the headmistress was as strong as she was.
Lucia Henley
Lucia Henley
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Briony Romain Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Briony smiled briefly, although this was something that might be a little odd for a normal person in society she loved hunting things, it was as they say 'the thrill of the chase' and she could sense that they were close to their prize now.

Hearing the rustling before seeing the creature Briony watched at Lucia seemingly had the creature under control, the patronus was beautiful but not the animal that she would have expected from the healer.

Then something she did not expect happened and Briony blinked as Lucia was hit by another lethifold, tensing up in case there were more Briony heard another rustling behind her so turned and muttered, coldly:

"Avada Kedavra."

Hearing a faint whoosh as the creature fell to the ground Briony concentrated on the other two that were still there, almost as soon as they had realised they were in danger the lethifolds had begun to create a counter attack.

Briony could see light beginning to gather around them, obviously priming their attack, so she absorbed the shadows into her own eyes, temporarily blinding her so the attack wouldn't work. Deciding to act quickly before they had chance to attack Lucia Briony repeated the curse:

"Avada Kedavra!"

Another one was hit but the remaining lethifold was moving, towards herself and she growled before sending the curse once more:

"Avada Kedavra!"

Hoping that there were no more Briony lifted the shadows so she could once again see.
Briony Romain
Briony Romain
Hogwarts Headmistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucia Henley Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:32 am

Lucia felt her eyelids get a bit heavier, but when she heard Briony saying the killing curse three times followed by three heavy bodies falling to the ground and then stopped, she knew that the creatures were gone. She was surprised, though, to say the least. Lethifolds rarely travelled in packs. The creatures were already so rare that they tended to stay away from everything except muggles or squibs. And three in one place, especially Hogwarts, was very weird.

Lucia couldn't help but think that maybe, just maybe, this was a sort of attack from Germany, but it was so subtle that she could do nothing but suspect. Nonetheless, she voiced her thoughts to Briony, before using her remaining strength on healing herself.

She felt her strength returning to her fairly quickly, but the lethifold would have left a mark. She knew that. Magical wounds from magical creatures could rarely be wiped off the skin, but in Lucia's case, it wouldn't stay for long, since the creature hadn't cut her skin. She then rose from the ground.

"I don't think there are more. Lethifolds doesn't sneak attack. If there were more, they would've attacked by now," Lucia said calmly. She smiled to Briony. "Thanks," she then said.
Lucia Henley
Lucia Henley
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Briony Romain Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Briony listened to Lucia's thoughts and she had been thinking the same things herself, these attacks were getting very real now and she needed to up the security around the school very soon to avoid more attacks like this.

Considering taking the temptation away and allowing students into the forest Briony rejected the idea immediately, no, they'd still come in here regardless of whether they were tempted or not.

"I hope not, after all we would have to scrub the whole forest if there were more than these, and I think that that might be a very good idea still."

With a small smile she nodded at Lucia, she was glad that she wasn't too hurt, after all she was a good member of staff and she didn't want any blood spilt where it didn't have to be, especially one of her own. When it came to Germans they could all fall for all she cared.

"No problem, are you hurt? Nothing that you can't fix am I right?" she said with another faint smile.
Briony Romain
Briony Romain
Hogwarts Headmistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucia Henley Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Lucia nodded. "I agree too," she said, "But maybe we should be more than just two on that? We don't know if there are more, though it is unlikely, but if there is another, then there is a whole bunch of them. So maybe a search party?"

Lucia rose from the ground when Briony asked how she was doing, and with a faint smile, Lucia shook her head: "I'm good now, but that attack would've knocked me out if I was anyone but who I am. These creatures are dangerous enough on their own. In a pack-" Lucia actually shuddered at the thought.

Then she sighed. "We could always just cast a spell to scan the area as well, but that would take a whole bunch of time, since there are a lot of creatures in these woods. It would be hard to single them out, but absolutely possible. But I think a search party would be best, though," Lucia said.
Lucia Henley
Lucia Henley
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Briony Romain Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Briony nodded. she had also thought that it would be a good idea to go and try to find these things in the day time, they would be much easier to spot as big lumps of black lying around in the forest.

"I think that's a good idea, I shall come back in the morning with a few more staff to try and smoke them out, I trust you will be coming?"

At Lucia's own admission that she was alright Briony nodded and deicded that she would leave the subject alone for now, and that it would be something to make a note of, not to get touched by one of these little suckers.

"Probably all of these ideas are best done in the morning with fresh heads and eyes on the case, it's dangerous being in here this late and only relying on our other senses, our eyes are pretty much useless."

Turning Briony began to light up her wand tip again, finding their path from before.

"Shall we head back?"
Briony Romain
Briony Romain
Hogwarts Headmistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucia Henley Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Lucia nodded, but then remembered something she had to do.

"Could you excuse me for a second? I just have to get through to the other animals and warn them," Lucia said.

She then turned and sat down on the ground, placing her left hand on the earth. Then she pointed her wand at her hand, and a yellow light shot from it, into the ground and was gone.

Suddenly, the air was filled with the sound of hooves. A centaur stood proudly in front of Lucia and she bowed her head slightly in respect. It was Ronan standing in the front, and Lucia was sure that Bane and Firenze, along with a whole bunch of other centaurs were standing behind him, ready to attack if anything was wrong.

Lucia looked seriously at Ronan. "We, meaning the Headmistress Briony, and I, were attacked by lethifolds tonight. Three of them-" murmur was heard behind the hill, giving Lucia right to assume there were other centaurs. She continued: "-And we do not know if there are more. We will return in the morning to search the woods to make sure there are no more, and obliterate them if there happens to be some."

Ronan looked at Lucia with a piercing eye, and then over to Briony. Then he turned halfway. "It is clear to me that you have no intentions of hurting us or other creatures but the lethifolds. We will stay at our base tomorrow, and call you if help is needed," he said.

Lucia nodded. "Thanks," she said.

The centaurs ran away quickly and Lucia turned to Briony. "I'm ready to go back," she said and lit the tip of her own wand as well.
Lucia Henley
Lucia Henley
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Briony Romain Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Briony watched with mild curiosity as Lucia summoned the centaurs, it was a good move, after all they were the main controllers of the forest in the terms of creatures, they would need to know, if they didn't already, what with their stargazing and prophecies.

Bowing her head the the centaur who was speaking in a sign of respect, Briony was glad that her coming here to be the head of this school had been agreeable to them, she knew that they were less than happy with her predecesor Hades.

When Lucia told her that she was now ready to head back Briony smiled slightly again and moved along the path, coming to a clearing where you could see the light of the stars, which made the travelling a little easier.

"It's a good thing that you can communicate to the centaurs, after all, we might need them sometime in the future if this war continues."

Sighing slightly Briony stopped, looking for the path once more.

"Sometimes I just wish I could have a normal day."
Briony Romain
Briony Romain
Hogwarts Headmistress

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucia Henley Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:39 am

Lucia nodded. They might need the centaurs in the future. Problem was that centaurs were so proud that it was a possibility that they didn't want to help. And that was one of the many reasons for why it was so important for Lucia to build a bond with them.

She smiled remembering what Ronan had said, that he would call for them if he and the other centaurs needed help. She hoped they would: they would then be indebted to her and Hogwarts.

"I think we can count on them to help us one day if needed, yes," Lucia said with a bigger smile.

She looked up at the now visible stars. Then she stopped when Briony did.

"Sometimes I just wish I could have a normal day."

Lucia laughed. "I bet," she said happily, and they continued moving back to the castle.
Lucia Henley
Lucia Henley
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down