Flames of Hogwarts, Ice of Durmstrang
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Studying (Open)

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Studying (Open) Empty Studying (Open)

Post by Haley Vilde Smith Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Haley walked into the school's library that morning, with every intention of sitting down and reading up on some homework. She walked over to a random section and looked long for a book about dark creatures and dementors. She finally found one, but that seemed so scary and unreal that she almost didn't dare to sit down with it. To make sure she wouldn't be too spooked, she took with a book on Divination. After all, she was going to attend that class, and she really needed to read up on what she had missed out on. She looked forward to Divination. The teacher was Sofia Slytherin, something Haley didn't mind at all. She seemed like a very good teacher.

Haley opened the book, and started reading about the dementors. The book depicted a terrible, large creature in a dark alley. Haley had never seen a dementor before, but she had heard about them. She forced her eyes off the cloaked creature, and turned to the text beside it, reading slowly.
Haley Vilde Smith
Haley Vilde Smith
Hufflepuff Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Studying (Open) Empty Re: Studying (Open)

Post by Parker Emery Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Having wanted to go to the library to look up things for his school work and also personal researches, Parker wandered his way into the Library. Walking through the doors, he looked up and around in awe at what he saw. A library bigger then he'd ever seen of ever imagined, with seemingly endless shelves that went up higher then he thought possible.

He walked in slowly, looking around as he approached the tables, going to set down it bag at a seat before he dared try to look for a book. He didn't even know where to begin, there was so much he wanted to know. He looked back down and around at the tables and noticed Haley from his classes, her head buried in a few books. Maybe she could help him.

He approached the table she was at, clearing his throat as he neared to get her attention, setting his bag down on the table quietly.

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Haley Vilde Smith Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:07 pm

As someone cleared their throat, Haley looked up and saw Parker standing in front of her. She grinned at him.

"Yo," she said, and then noticed he didn't have any books. Her grin softened. "What books are you looking for?" she asked, understanding.
Haley Vilde Smith
Haley Vilde Smith
Hufflepuff Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Emery Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:13 pm

"Er- hullo." He smiled a bit as he sat down, looking at what she was reading.

"Anything, really. I sort of wanted to look at history books. Anything to do with...erm-" His face got a bit red again, a bit embarrassed by his lack of knowledge. "The Second Wizarding War. It was brought up when I was talking with some friends, but I really know nothing about it."

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Haley Vilde Smith Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:41 am

Haley smiled and nodded; she could understand why he'd want to know about the Second Wizarding War. Haley, who had read 'Hogwarts, A History' knew a lot about it already, not to mention how awesome that book actually was. She then mentally slapped herself.

"Hey, you wanna borrow my copy of 'Hogwarts, A History? It's pretty awesome and it acts a lot around the Second Wizarding War. I mean, of course it does. It is aboutt he greatest thing that has happened in our world, if you don't count the founding of Hogwarts. And if you wanna check out more about the Second Wizarding War, then if you walk to the end of the library and to your right, right in front of the Restricted Section you will find history books. And it's probably going to be staring you in the face. And I want to show you a paragraph in the book as well," Haley said with a big grin.
Haley Vilde Smith
Haley Vilde Smith
Hufflepuff Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Emery Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 am

He smiled. "That would be great if I could borrow yours, I'll be sure to be careful with it. I was hearing a bit about it, how great it was, and about a Harry Potter and Voldemold or something, so I wanted to learn more. Especially since it's so important."

He listened when she explained where the other history books where, keeping a mental note. His expression turned a bit curious when she mentioned the restricted section, but he shook it off and smiled a bit when she said she wanted to show him something. "Sure, what is it?"

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Haley Vilde Smith Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:28 am

Haley jumped from the chair and walked to the end of the library. She picked out a thick, newish book and walked back again, sitting down beside Parker. On the front of the brown, em-braided book, in golden letters, stood 'The Second Wizarding War'. The cover was split in two halves. One was light, and the other was dark. There were symbols of a lightningscar and glasses on the light side, while the dark side had a cranium with a snake bursting from its mouth; the Dark Mark.

Haley opened the book and searched until she found the right page. Then she showed it to Parker. On it, it stood:

'Hermione Jean Weasley (nee Granger) is one of the most important people of this battle. She and her husband, Ronald Bilius Weasley, assisted Harry James Potter in the battle against the Dark Lord Voldemort. Potter has claimed that without her and her husband, he would never have been able to defeat Voldemort. Hermione Weasley has also been described as the brightest witch in her class by many of her classmates. A Michael Corner once said that it was a miracle that she was not in Ravenclaw house in stead of Gryffindor. Hermione Weasley was born into a muggle-family a year before Voldemort's minor setback in 1881. She is thereby a proof that just because a person is a muggle-born, it does not mean that she will be far behind the others in class. This proves the complete opposite because of her intelligence and academical interest. She currently has a high position in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. She also worked along side Kingsley Shacklebolt to eradicate the old laws biased in favor of pure-bloods. Hermione Jean Weasley is also featured on a Chocolate Frog Card.'

Haley looked up at Parker once she was done reading it, waiting for his reaction. She really wanted to make sure he didn't feel left out because of his blood-status. Because even though Hermione Weasley and Kingsley Shacklebolt had erased the laws, there were still attitudes, especially in Slytherin house. She hoped Parker would take some comfort in this.
Haley Vilde Smith
Haley Vilde Smith
Hufflepuff Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Emery Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:36 am

Parker watched as she lept up, disappearing down the library shelves, coming back a short time later with a large book. He looked down at the cover of it when she sat down beside him, setting it down between them. What a very curious looking cover, not one he was expecting at all to see on a history book.

Haley opened the book, flipping through the many pages until she got to the page she wanted, pointing out a passage to him. He read it silently, smiling to himself when he got to the part about her parentage. He looked back up to Haley, smiling. "Thanks." He didn't really know what he was supposed to say, but he knew she was trying to make him feel better about being Muggleborn, which he did. "Thank you for showing me this." He looked back down at the passage again.

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Haley Vilde Smith Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Haley smiled to Parker when he thanked her. She then sat back down to where her own books were lying and started reading them. Then she looked back up at Parker.

"I just figured that if someone angered you in Slytherin because of the bad nicknames and stuff, it would be nice to think that if it wasn't for a muggle-born, Voldemort might still have been alive, and the world would've been a horrible place to live in," she said with a small smile.

Then she turned to her book again, and without looking up, she casually said: "And if someone is bothering you, and you don't think it's enough to think of Hermione Weasley, then I'll be there for you as well."
Haley Vilde Smith
Haley Vilde Smith
Hufflepuff Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Emery Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:51 am

He flipped through a few more of the pages that had information written about Hermione Granger. "From what it seems, if Voldemort wasn't taken care of, I might not be alive- and it's really cool how she changed so many laws, that means the discrimination was far worse? I can't even imagine..." He continued to skim through the pages.

"And if someone is bothering you, and you don't think it's enough to think of Hermione Weasley, then I'll be there for you as well." He flipped the page again, smiling. "Thanks, it's okay though, it's not worth anyone's time to deal with those sorts of people. I've got better things to worry about."

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Leshia having finally gotten away from her sister and made it into the library. She noticed off to the corner were the two people she had met in herbology class and wondered if they would allow her to join the table.

Leshia walked over. "Hay Haley, Parker, can I join your little study session?" Leshia asked before she pulled out a chair. She didn't want to intrude if it was not ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Emery Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:36 pm

He looked up from the book when Leshia walked over, asking to join them, he smiled a bit, flipping the book to the first page. "Hullo. Sure, I don't mind."

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:05 pm

"Thanks Parker, so what are we studying now?" Leshia wondered if they were studying what she needed to study.

"Hay Haley, have you finished that assignment Professor Slytherin assigned on that new Zodiac?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Emery Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:23 pm

He looked back down to his book. "I'm just looking up somethings on the Second Wizarding War. Some of my housemates were talking about it and I wanted to know more." He smiled up at Haley a bit, before looking between the two of them.

"Wait, you guys are in Astronomy? I'm signing up for that class, I was wondering what i should do to catch up..."

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Studying (Open) Empty Good to see students studying

Post by Horst Sollmann Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:26 pm

"Good to see students studying. Not a lot of that going around these days I have noticed. If you have any questions about the Zodiac don't be shy to ask me. I know where all the books relating to it are and my memory usually very good. With my help it might shorten the time you must spend in your school books. And allow you to socialize outside of the library. Not that i mind students studying. It is just I know how tedious and frustrating school work can become." he told the students. "I hope to see you all at my special event tomorrow night. We will have fruit punch, pumpkin pasties, chocolate frogs, Professor Slytherin reading Tarot Cards, and myself reading The Stories Behind the Constellations. Reading in alphabetical order of course. The books I am reading from will be laid out in alphabetical order and the zodiac books will be at the very end on the right. If you need a snack I can send an owl to the kitchens for you. Hope to see more of you in the coming weeks." he said. And with that he turned away from them and meandered into his study.
Horst Sollmann
Horst Sollmann
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Emery Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Parker had startled slightly and looked up when the old man, silently approached the table. He smiled politely as he spoke. "It's fine sir, I think I'd rather like having to find my own way around. I do like books."

He listened politely as the old man, the librarian, Parker assumed, continued talking. A special event sure did sound quite nice. He smiled a bit as the old man walked away, he seemed quite..what would be the right word, whimsical or quaint, Parker thought. He knew he'd definitely ask him for help if he ever needed it. After all, he planned to be frequenting the library often.

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Leshia was about to tell Parker about Astronomy, but then the new librarian had walked up and talked to them. Leshia was not sure how he did not notice she was there but that was ok with her. She had been here before he had kicked her out and she was not about to point that fact out.

"Well Parker, in Astronomy the teacher asked us what our favorite Zodiac sign was and then we had to tell a little about it. The teacher gave us an assignment to write a 50 word summary on the new Zodiac constellation Ophiuchus."

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Emery Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:32 pm

He thought a bit about what his favorite zodiac would be, not knowing what he would choose.

"Ophiuchius, that's right... Me mum reads a lot of horoscope stuff from the paper, so I've heard her talk about some of the Zodiac quite a bit. Where might that be in the book, if you've any clue?"

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Studying (Open) Empty Ophiuncus

Post by Horst Sollmann Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:50 pm

"I overheard your question while reading the current novel I am reading. Ophiuncus is located on the third row of book shelves to your right facing east in the center of the library. It is about two thirds of the way down the row and on the third shelf. Miss Prewett, I believe I asked you to leave the library and not return tonight. However, considering the circumstances. I suppose I could show some leniency in the matter. But, if you disobey my explicit orders in my library again there will be consequences. Do not push me too far Leshia. Though I attempt to show grace to young students there comes a point when I must, shall I say, put my foot down. Now finish your astronomy assignment and get to bed the both of you. If Ravenclaw Head of House Professor Li asks you why you were in the library tell her I decided to cut you some slack on the matter. That is all. Good night students."
Horst Sollmann
Horst Sollmann
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Haley Vilde Smith Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Haley smiled to Leisha as she came in and joined them at the table.

"Uh... no, I haven't. But I figured I had time to do it before I left the library today. I've been reading up on Dementors and dark creatures and stuff. But Imma start with the constellation now. How about you?" Haley asked, but then the librarian walked over to them.

Haley smiled at the man as he told them that they could ask for help whenever they wanted to, and Haley was grateful for that, even though she pretty much knew the library very well already. He might decide to change the way the books were standing now.

Then Leisha told Parker what had went down in the Astronomy class and what he should be prepared for.

The librarian came back soon enough and told them where the book on Ophiuchus was and Haley immediately jumped up and got it. She then said a thanks to the librarian's back as he was walking away again.

Haley turned to them with a smile. "He seems like an all right chap, but Leisha, how on earth did you manage to get in trouble with already?" she whispered, making sure that the librarian couldn't hear them.

She then rolled forth a piece of parchment and dipped her quill in ink, starting to write a bit on the Zodiac.
Haley Vilde Smith
Haley Vilde Smith
Hufflepuff Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:29 am

When the librarian came back because he had over heard them talking about Ophiuchus, she thought she was sunk, until he told her he would let her slide just this once.

"Look here it says that Ophiuchus is is a large constellation located around the celestial equator. Its name is from the Greek "serpent-bearer", and it is commonly represented as a man grasping the snake that is represented by the constellation Serpens. Also it says that it used to be named Serpentarius which is Latin."

Leshia started writing this down. Then thought she better answer Haley's question after the librarian left them alone.

"I had to run back and get something from my dorm and on my way back Tabi stopped me in the hall, and it wasn't pretty. I ended up pulling out my wand and threatening her to leave me alone, along with someone else. That was when the librarian walked up to us. Then I just snuck back in."

Back to top Go down

Post by Haley Vilde Smith Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:52 am

Haley noted down what Leisha said and they kept working on the subject.

Leisha then explained why the librarian and she had gotten off on the wrong foot. Haley nodded when she realized what had happened. She sighed.

"You and your sister don't get along well, do you?" Haley asked sadly.

She could see that pretty clearly, the way they had been acting while up in the Astronomy Tower. But Haley didn't want to intrude either, but she felt the need to tell Leisha that if something was wrong, she could come to her with it, and that Haley cared about Leisha. After all, she was her first friend on Hogwarts.
Haley Vilde Smith
Haley Vilde Smith
Hufflepuff Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Studying (Open) Empty Snacks Fresh From the Kitchens

Post by Horst Sollmann Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Horst had decided that those students who had been studying needed a snack. He hated seeing students starve while working on an assignment, especially in his library. He would not and did not tolerate it. So he had sent an owl to the Kitchens asking them to send up some snacks for hungry students. A loud crack sounded just outside his library. "Ah, the house elves." he said. He exited his office and walked towards the students still studying their astronomy lesson. Looking past them and to the doorway, he caught a glimpse of not one, but three house elves entering with two platters of food and one of various drinks. They had apparated at precisely the same time so as to only make one crack, instead of three.

"Excellent, the snacks I ordered from the kitchens for you students stuck in here studying have arrived." he told the group of students working at the table in the center of the library. Then addressing the house eves, "Just put the trays of food and drink on that table in the corner." he said, pointing at a dark mahogany table large enough for the three trays.

"Now, if you students would please take a short break to eat and drink I would be very happy with you. You see, I hate students who go hungry because they spend time doing their assingments properly. It is a thing that I cannot tolerate in this Library. So, go on, I know you must all be starving. I just ask that you mind that the crumbs don't get on the books. I think I will grab a pumpkin juice mysef." he said as he walked towards the table he had indicated to the house elves that now held the three trays.
Horst Sollmann
Horst Sollmann
Hogwarts Professor

Back to top Go down

Post by Haley Vilde Smith Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Haley looked shocked at the house-elves coming in with food and water. She then grinned at Sollmann.

"Thank you so much! I actually am starving," Haley said and closed the book after marking on her parchment what page she was on.

She nodded through Sollmann's explanation on why he had given them food. She completely agreed with him. Besides, it was no use trying to study when your stomach was growling every fifth second.
Haley Vilde Smith
Haley Vilde Smith
Hufflepuff Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Emery Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:48 am

After Haley had gotten the book that the Librarian suggested, Parker listened as Leshia and Haley were talking, and was writing on his parchment about the constellation. He was also thinking about how he'd seen Tabi in his classes and had met her up in the common room the previous day. He thought it unfortunate that the twins didn't get along, and worrisome that Tabi had said some terrible things about her sister. He didn't understand why they wouldn't get along, after all they've only got each other as family here for a nearly a whole year, while he didn't have anyone at all.

He looked up from his parchment came by again with food. Parker smiled politely, pushing aside his parchment so that he could have a bit to eat, though he didn't feel particularly hungary. He thought it a bit strange to be eating in a library and especially to have an adult, in a way, cater to them. But he just accepted it for the time being, there were a lot of strange things in the wizarding world that he would just have to accept.

He also figured having a bit to eat would help him to concentrate better as well.

Parker Emery
Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next